At 24 Hours Plumber, we know from our experience, that leaks under kitchen sink are quite common. Where do they come from?
Kitchen sink is used basically every day and a lot. So often kitchen faucet gets loose and allows water to seep between faucet and sink during faucet use, causing water damage to sink cabinet. Also spray head sometimes get loose.
Undermount sinks are glued from the bottom to the countertop. They may get unglued if heavy items are placed in undermount sink, then water may enter in the crack.
But most often we see problems with kitchen drain. In condo and every high rise building, by fire code drain under kitchen sink must be made of metal (alternatively, it may be very expensive XFR plastic). It cannot be black plastic ABS pipe – that pipe emits bad fumes during fire. Very often we see brass drain, especially p-trap, rusted, corroded. A crack or a hole develops in damaged brass, people don’t pay attention, use kitchen sink, but water seeps out of the drain, causing damage to kitchen sink cabinet, to the floor and even to the unit below. Also basket strainers becomes corroded over the time and then
Sometimes drain under kitchen sink is installed without having proper slope. Negative slope allows sediments to collect in drain pipe, causing blockages and water backup in the sink and dishwasher – then water stays there and does not drain.
So what can be done to prevent flooding under kitchen sink and save your property?
- Inspect regularly all components around kitchen sink: faucet, drain. When you see signs of deterioration, call 24 Hours Plumber 647 660 5030 for help.
- We can tighten faucet and its parts properly or reinstall in such way that it does not get loose. Also we can install for you a better faucet type, the one that will fit properly your countertop, will look nice and will be more enjoyable to use.
- Do not put heavy items in undermount sink. Make sure those sinks are installed properly by quality installer.
- Most important- call us to replace corroded drain parts, such as basket strainers and especially p-trap! Doing this on time will prevent costly damage to your property and damage to the unit below. Yes, it is so easy to prevent bad leak and save your kitchen cabinet and floor in your condo unit. Just call us for inspection and replacement once you see p-trap becomes corroded. In fact wall of p-trap become so thin and weak, that even small hit or pinch damages the p-trap surface. And we know, that under kitchen sink cabinet there are always lots of items, all kinds of them. You move the item, item hits the old p-trap – leak occurred.
- During inspection, we will check the slope of kitchen drain. If necessary, we will adjust elevation, so water will flow by gravitation freely in the pipe and drain will be free of blockages.
Remember: doing this preventative work you save and improve your real estate property, which most likely is your biggest and most important investment! Small repair will add thousands of dollars value to your property. It is totally profitable to repair drain and plumbing in your property, it always pays off.
Visit www.24hoursplumber.com and call us 647-660-5030